Monday 16 February 2015

Pancake Tuesday: Mardi Gras, Lent, and Something Worth Giving Up

Tuesday is Mardi Gras, which is French for Fat Tuesday, the day of feasting before beginning the 40 days of fasting for Lent.  It's a time for one last indulgence before six weeks of abstention and self sacrifice.

Why then, would simple, healthy pancakes be the food of choice?  I looked it up.  In the Middle Ages, meat, eggs, fats, milk and fish were restricted during Lent.  So pancakes were a good way to use up three of those items - eggs, milk and fat (butter) all at once, so they wouldn't be left to spoil.

The diner photo was taken near the California-Nevada border years ago.  Every time I look at it, I can smell the bacon, eggs, toast, pancakes and strong coffee that greeted me coming in from the cold.  Perfect day for pancakes.

Here's my go-to pancake recipe:

1 1/2 Cups flour
1 heaping Tbsp sugar (I use coconut sugar)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 Cups milk (I use almond milk)
2 Tbsp melted butter (I use coconut oil)
1 large egg, beaten
Mix dry ingredients and set aside.  Combine the wet ingredients, then add to the dry ingredients.  Stir quickly, and don't worry about lumps (just like making muffins).  Ladle 1/3 Cup batter onto a hot griddle, wait until bubbles appear, then flip over.  Repeat.  Serve with real maple syrup.

Thinking of giving up something for Lent?  How 'bout giving up your organs?  If you haven't registered to be an organ donor, take time to register!  Happy Mardi Gras!  Here's a feast for the eyes...

.  
 The Rio Roses in this photograph, are a Mardi Gras of vibrant colours:  mango, orange, coral pink, hot pink and fuchsia in a single bloom!  




1 comment:

  1. I might try this recipe sometime in the future but I would have to freeze most of the pancakes for later on.

    I love the Mardi Gras rose.

    Monique

    ReplyDelete