Sunday 29 September 2019

Dried Up and Refreshed


True confession:  I have bags of this stuff.  Dried rose petals.  Decades of decayed roses.  Take a good, long look because they're going into the garbage.   My sentimentality regained it's sanity, when I realized that I no longer remembered which dried rose petals came from which bouquet, or why I'd preserved them in the first place.  Which birthday was this from?  Who gave me these?  Was this from Christmas, or Valentine's Day?  Did I grow this rose on my balcony? 


Their colours have faded over time, and my sentimental petals have lost their scent.  Their time is up.  It's not as if they haven't been useful.  I've scattered the petals across dining tables, sprinkled them with essential oils, and even used them in photo shoots -  quelle surprise! 
 
While scattered rose petals herald the arrival of a bride down the aisle, these dried petals will be unceremoniously dumped into the disposal bin of my building.  I feel no remorse.

It is the memories of happy times, not the keepsakes which are important.  I am keeping that in mind, as I declutter my home.  Change is coming, and I am embracing change! 


Photographs Copyright of:  Ruth Adams, Widow's Endorphins Photographic Images Incorporated.

No comments:

Post a Comment