Monday 25 March 2019

Sun's Up


Sun is up, day is on
Look for me, I'll be gone      
          - Buffy Sainte-Marie, He's an Indian Cowboy in the Rodeo (1972)


I've never been a morning person.  Not even a smiling rodeo cowboy could get me jumping out of bed before sunrise.  It's too bad, because the morning sun is beautiful.  The light fills a room with a sense of joy, and anticipation of a great day.  There's a vibrancy, even in the quiet stillness of the morning.


Years ago, I was on board an early morning sailing of a Gulf Island ferry, on British Columbia's Salish Sea.  It was one of those spectacular Westcoast mornings on the water - seagulls soaring into the clear, blue skies, then swooping alongside the ferry.  From the galley kitchen, the aroma of fresh brewed coffee, and sizzling, crisp bacon was carried on the salt air.  The warm July sun streamed into the ferry windows, and all was right with the world.


It's ironic, that little old night owl me, has had the time of her life, being an Airbnb host for the past four years...as in bed and BREAKFAST!!!  I love getting up for my guests!  Actually, I love my guests, the getting up part, not so much.  Whether they stay for only a few days, or a whole year, it's over breakfast, that we learn about our lives, our travels and adventures all over the world.  

My guests have big adventures:  one crossed the Gobi Desert, another climbed Kilimanjaro.   Two sisters hiked and skied in the Swiss Alps, and had never seen skyscrapers before.  Toronto's CN Tower was awesome for them!

My guests have come from all over the world:  England, Ireland, Scotland, France, Belgium, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Kosovo, Russia, China, Taiwan, Korea, Australia, India, Pakistan, Brazil, Mexico, the USA, and across Canada.  Having breakfast with neurologists, cardiologists, physiotherapists, an anthropologist, PhD students, university professors, marketing directors of international corporations, a computer coder, a distillery owner, a club owner, a retired naval officer, an actor, a baker, artists, writers, dancers, and more than one with an MBA in project management - I learn something new every day.    


You'll love this story...A newlywed couple who had been frequent Airbnb guests until they bought a condo in Toronto, were celebrating their first anniversary.  A friend of theirs, who had stayed with me when they got married, was in town, and we all got together for lunch at my home.  My current guest, who had been out, had picked up food, and wanted to put it in the fridge before she and her husband headed downtown to meet friends.  She walked into the living room, and froze, wondering if she had entered the wrong apartment.  Then, she pointed at my friend and said, "I know you!"  He had never seen her before.  She knew who he was.  She was best friends and a co-worker with my friend's husband's cousin, and had seen the wedding and anniversary pictures the night before on Facebook.  What were the chances of their paths crossing in my Toronto livingroom?   


My guests arrive as strangers, and leave as friends.  We keep in touch on Facebook, meet for lunch, have dinners together, and celebrate special holidays.  Two of my guests visited me in hospital last year.  This past Summer, I was the guest of a Victoria, BC couple who had stayed with me (they were awesome hosts).  My life is greatly enriched by my friendships.


I truly believe that every day is a blessing.  Every day of life is a gift.  Wishing you a wonderful day, and may the sun shine upon you!



Photographs Copyright of:  Ruth Adams, Widow's Endorphins Photographic Images Incorporated.

No comments:

Post a Comment