Monday 8 January 2018

Orange for the Winter Blues


I hab a code...a runny node, and Kleenex up my sleebs.  I've been taking so much Oil of Oregano, I smell like a Greek restaurant.  But wait, there's more to my Winter misery...Christmas Day, I slipped on a patch of black ice on a downtown Toronto street, and fractured my arm.  Arm and I recovered quickly, however the deep freeze which Torontonians have been enduring (-30C /-22F) since before Christmas, has only just let up.  The city streets are now filled with enormous, slushy, brown puddles of melting snow, and dirt, which made today's trip to the Fracture Clinic an obstacle course.


This is the time of year when Torontonians are overheard on cellphones asking, "what have you got that's hot?"  They're not talking to their stockbrokers.  They're calling travel agents.  They just want the sunniest, hottest beach resort - and they want it now!


Orange is the colour of playful energy, warmth and sunshine, joy and creativity.  The ideal colour to bring into your home, or office on a dreary Winter day. 

These Kalanchoes are tiny perfect plants to sit next to your computer, at the kitchen table, or windowsill.  They're succulents from Madagascar, and love sunlight (although not direct, harsh sun).  They store water in their rubbery leaves, so they don't need to be watered more than once a week.


I bought these Italian-made orange juice glasses at a Buddhist temple yard sale, several years ago.  They're my happy glasses.  Drinking pure, fresh orange juice from them, is one of life's simple pleasures.  Just looking at these tiny, colourful flowers, in happy little glasses, makes me feel much brighter, more energized, and even healthier - and that's nothing to sneeze at! 



Photographs Copyright of:  Ruth Adams, Widow's Endorphins Photographic Images Incorporated.

No comments:

Post a Comment