Tuesday 3 March 2015

March Forth!

I love March 4th!  Of the 365 days in the year, it is the only one which, when spoken aloud in English, is a declaration - a call to action!  Ever since my grade one teacher, wrote the date, March fourth on the blackboard, and I heard her say, "march forth", that one sentence, translated into a personal day of accomplishments, major decisions, and new beginnings.

So it was for my friend, Beth Grixti.  On March 4, 2013, Beth donated a portion of her liver to a stranger in a Toronto Hospital.  To this day, she has never met the person who received a piece of her liver.  Giving the gift of life to a stranger dying of liver disease is one of the most compassionate, unselfish, inspiring acts of love, I have been privileged to witness.

"It was", says Beth, "the best decision I've ever made".  With the same enthusiasm she has for everything in life,  she says, "I would definitely do it again.  I have nothing but positive experiences throughout the entire process to reflect on."  Beth, who is celebrating the second anniversary of her liver donation at a Harry Manx concert, says, "I would recommend this experience to anyone with the drive within them.  I wish it was possible to donate again".

While not everyone can be a living donor, almost everyone can register now to donate their organs and tissue after death. March is Liver Health Month, and a great time to march forth and register to be an organ donor, or register others, or join the Because I Can Project in working towards a national presumed consent system in Canada.

To Beth, and others like her, who learned that people are dying on transplant waiting lists, and marched forth to give the gift of life, a bouquet of love and gratitude...


Photo credit:  Ruth Adams, Widow's Endorphins Photographic Images Incorporated

2 comments:

  1. In Ontario, Register to be an organ and tissue donor at www.beadonor.ca

    ReplyDelete